We are seeking a skilled and experienced Finisher to join our team as a concrete finisher. As a Finisher, you will be responsible for applying finishing techniques to freshly poured concrete surfaces to achieve the desired appearance and functionality. Your attention to detail, knowledge of concrete finishing techniques, and ability to work efficiently will be key to your success in this role.
- Location: Vancouver, BC
- Salary: 31.50 hourly / 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment Term or contract: Full time Day, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies 2
- No degree, certificate or diploma
3 years to less than 5 years
Work site environment
- At heights
- Prepare surfaces for concrete pouring by cleaning, leveling, and compacting as required.
- Set up forms and ensure they are properly aligned, secured, and leak-proof.
- Pour and spread concrete to the desired thickness, using appropriate tools and techniques.
- Smooth and level the concrete surface using various finishing tools such as trowels, screeds, and floats.
- Apply decorative finishes, textures, or patterns to the concrete surface as required.
- Use hand and power tools to cut or shape concrete edges, joints, and expansion gaps.
- Install and anchor concrete accessories such as anchor bolts, embeds, and metal plates.
- Repair and patch damaged or deteriorated concrete surfaces.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area, following all safety regulations and guidelines.
- Collaborate with other team members, such as concrete laborers and supervisors, to ensure timely completion of projects.
- Follow project specifications, blueprints, and instructions to achieve desired results.
- Proven experience as a concrete finisher or in a similar role.
- Strong knowledge of concrete types, mixing ratios, and finishing techniques.
- Proficiency in using various concrete finishing tools and equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret project specifications, blueprints, and diagrams.
- Good physical stamina and ability to work in various weather conditions.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to produce high-quality work.
- Excellent time management skills to meet project deadlines.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Basic math skills for measuring and calculating concrete quantities.
- Safety-conscious mindset and adherence to all safety guidelines.
- Check formwork, granular base and steel reinforcement materials and direct placement of concrete into forms or onto surfaces according to grade
- Fill hollows and remove spots on freshly poured cement
- Operate power vibrators to compact concrete
- Level top surface concrete according to grade and depth specification
- Impart desired finish to concrete surfaces using hand and power tools
- Install anchor bolts, steel plates, door sills and other fixtures
- Apply hardening and sealing components to cure surfaces
- Waterproof, damp proof and restore surfaces
- Repair, resurface and replace worn or damaged sections of concrete structures
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Physically demanding
- Handling heavy loads
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Attention to detail
- Standing for extended periods
- Team player
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Here is what you must include in your application:
- References attesting experience
- Letter of recommendation
This job posting includes screening questions. Please answer the following questions when applying:
- Are you available for the advertised start date?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you gain a better understanding of this Finisher, concrete:
What does a concrete finisher do?
A concrete finisher, also known as a cement mason or concrete mason, is responsible for the final phase of concrete construction. They work with wet concrete and use various tools and techniques to shape, smooth, and finish the surface of concrete structures such as floors, sidewalks, driveways, and foundations.
What are the primary responsibilities of a concrete finisher?
Concrete finishers perform a range of tasks, including:
- Preparing the work area by setting up forms and ensuring proper alignment.
- Pouring and spreading concrete to the desired thickness.
- Leveling and smoothing the surface using hand tools, power tools, or specialized equipment.
- Applying finishing techniques, such as troweling, edging, and brushing, to achieve the desired texture and appearance.
- Creating decorative patterns, textures, or designs on the concrete surface if required.
- Monitoring and adjusting the curing process to ensure proper hydration and strength development.
- Repairing or patching damaged or uneven concrete surfaces.
- Cleaning and maintaining tools and equipment.
What skills and qualifications are necessary to become a concrete finisher?
To work as a concrete finisher, individuals should possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Knowledge of concrete materials and construction techniques.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications.
- Proficiency in using hand tools, power tools, and equipment specific to concrete finishing.
- Physical stamina and strength to handle heavy equipment and perform manual labor in various weather conditions.
- Attention to detail and a keen eye for precision and quality.
- Problem-solving skills to address any issues that may arise during the concrete finishing process.
- Good communication and teamwork skills to coordinate with other construction professionals on the job site.
- Prior experience or formal training in concrete finishing is typically preferred.
Where do concrete finishers typically work?
Concrete finishers can find employment in a variety of settings, including construction companies, concrete contractors, building contractors, and civil engineering firms. They may work on both residential and commercial projects, ranging from small-scale renovations to large-scale construction sites.
What are the career prospects for concrete finishers?
Concrete finishing is an essential aspect of construction, and skilled finishers are always in demand. With experience and expertise, concrete finishers can advance to supervisory roles or pursue specialized areas within the field, such as decorative concrete finishing or concrete repair and restoration.
What safety precautions should concrete finishers follow?
Concrete finishers work with potentially hazardous materials and equipment, so it is crucial to prioritize safety. Some common safety precautions include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, following proper lifting techniques, using caution when working with power tools, and ensuring proper ventilation when working with concrete products.